Monday, October 23, 2006

Two Way Conversation...


Surveys show most people pray. We ask God for what we need. We ask God for what others might need. But do we ever really listen for what God might say in return? This past weekend at Crossroads Mark and Faith led us in a responsive prayer that acknowledged not only our needs, but what God might say back to us if we'd just listen. I post it here in case it spoke/speaks to you or you'd like to use it as a part of your spiritual rhythms this week.

We Pray: Father, sometimes the needs in my life seem overwhelming. I feel like I worry all of the time. Where will the money come from? Will I find someone to love? How long can I keep up this pace? Will you help Lord?

God Responds: Can you add a single hour to your life by worrying? Look at the birds. They don’t plant, harvest, or gather the harvest into barns. Yet, I feed them. Aren’t you more important to me than they are?

So don’t ever worry about tomorrow. After all, tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

We Pray : Our world seems so fragile God. What will happen next? Will my tests come back negative? Will my kids be ok? Will I be able to make it on my own? There is so much I can’t control. Can I trust you to help me?

God Responds: I know the plans that I have for you. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with hope.

Then you will call to me. You will come and pray to me, and I will hear you. When you look for me, you will find me. When you wholeheartedly seek me, I will let you find me, declares the LORD.

We Pray: Why is life so hard right now God? Why do you allow me to struggle? Why don’t you protect me from the randomness of nature and the actions of others? Can you hear me God? When life is hard I start to wonder if you are there at all.

God Responds: Although it doesn’t seem possible, know that I make all things
work together for the good of those who love me.

Nothing can stop my love for you- death can’t stop it, demons can’t stop it, powerful people can’t stop it, problems can’t stop it. There’s nothing in all of creation that can make me turn my back on you.

We Pray: I am so weak God. I come to again with the same list of failures and sins. Can I ever really change? Will you forgive me again?

God Responds: If you told me that you never sin, I’d be concerned. You’d be lying to yourself and to me. I keep my word. If you confess your sins, I will forgive you and cleanse you from everything you’ve done wrong.

Trust my mercy. My compassion is unlimited. It is new every morning. You can count on this.

We Pray: Have your way with us Lord. May our lives please you and bless those around us. We entrust ourselves to you. Amen.


Category:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you soooo much for posting the responsive prayer!! Those are prayers I've really prayed and it was amazing to actually "hear" His response. This was my favorite part Sunday. Yeah, and that speaker dude was pretty awesome too!

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home