Tuesday, August 08, 2006

What are you watching?

Okay, so we did a "What are you reading?" thread, now it's time to cater to the non-readers in the crowd. It's time for a "What are you watching?" thread. Let's make this one about movies. We can do tv later, for now I want to know what movies you've seen recently, either in the theatres or on dvd. I'll start.

I finally broke down and got a Netflix account. I don't know why I held out so long. For $5.99 I can get up to 4 movies a month, keep them as long as I want and never have to pay a late fee. When I used to rent from Blockbuster I couldn't get a movie back on time if my life depended on it. So far, from Netflix, I've rented:

Syriana. Thought it was pretty good. Little hard to follow in places. Thought Clooney did a good job. I appreciate Clooney and the way he alternates between big Hollywood projects and smaller more artistic or activist works. That being said, Oceans 12 was maybe the worst movie I've ever seen.
















Winter Passing. Fifteen minutes into this movie I didn't think I was going to like it. It really ended up redeeming itself by the end, though. It also features Will Ferrel's only dramatic performance that I'm aware of (and dramatic may be stretching it a bit). Good movie. All about parent/child relationships and taking responsibility for your life.















What The #$*! Do We Know. That's actually the title of the movie, not me editing myself. It's a primer for Quantum Mechanics done as a movie. It stars Marlee Matlin (the deaf actress from Children of A Lesser God) and features interviews with experts in the fields of Quantum physics and various other areas. It focuses a lot on the individual's ability to change his reality and surroundings through positive thought and action. Interesting movie.












Next up on Netflix is Wake Up Ron Burgandy.

In theatres, I've seen Talladega Nights, Nacho Libre, You Me and Dupree, Superman Returns, The Breakup, Lady In The Water, and Pirates of The Caribbean 2. My favorites out of all of those was Nacho Libre and Talladega Nights. The others all kind of disappointed me on various levels.

I'll also be seeing Snakes On A Plane, The Borat Movie, and Jackass 2 when they come out.

Now you go.

Category:

14 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I actually saw the "What the #$*! do we Know" movie last year. I think you summed it up by saying it was "Interesting". If it does anything, it makes you think about what you believe in yourself and in God.

I've seen the following in the last 6 months: (I've rated them 1-5 with 5 being great)

Batman Begins: 4
Nacho Libre: 4.5
Pirates of the Car. II: 2
V for Vendetta: 3.5
X-Men: The Last Stand: 4

Pretty good movies for me. Nacho Libre is on the brink of greatness.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

What The Bleep Do We Know? loses me ideologically in a few places. Like the idea that our thoughts can change the fabric of reality. I'm not saying I don't believe it (as the science is fairly compelling) - it's just hard for me to wrap my head around and accept totally.

The often repeated "God is everything" idea didn't resonate with me as presented. I think an aspect of God is in everything, but still has a definite oneness as presented in the Bible.

What I did take away from the movie was the idea that by stopping myself from falling into negative patterns when I see them coming on will eventually help me erase those patterns from my life.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am such a girl!!

DVDs:

Failure to Launch

Diary of a Mad Black Woman - this is the BEST movie! I am a HUGE Tyler Perry fan and this is my favorite movie!!

Madea's Family Reunion - another Tyler Perry movie...I told you I was a big fan!

Win a Date with Tad Hamilton - this was for girls night!

Theater:

I'm usually a big fan of the movie theater, but haven't been in a month or so.

Take the Lead - this is a great movie!!

Janet, you'll be proud...I'm going to see he Davinci Code this week, so we can discuss it this weekend!

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK...I can't type today! I posted the previous comment, but hit enter before finishing! Sorry Patrick!

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I wish I could participate in this more. The movies I've seen lately are Sleeping Beauty, Anastasia, and Cinderella. Other "real" movies from Netflix that we have gotten are ones I've never finished b/c I end up falling asleep (the curse of a working mom). I still want to see The Breakup since I was sick the last time we had a date night scheduled. I cannot wait to see Marie Antoinette (the new Sofia Coppola movie) when it comes out in October. I am already starting to line up a babysitter!

Sally

9:18 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Who has time to go to the movies???

We were going to go last weekend but decided we were too old to go to the 10PM show so we rented off PPV instead. We saw "History of Violence"-very odd, "Pink Panther" and "Nanny McPhee" with the kids. Rob watched "Shaun of the Dead".

How boring are we???

Kelley...can't wait to discuss the movie. I read the book, but haven't seen the movie. I've heard it's a really good "entertaining" movie if you take it for that.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Road House is awesome. I suspect Road House 2 is good, but not quite awesome.

Sort of like how people really like my dad, but just kind of tolerate me.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

In case it slipped past anybody, Clark just admitted to watching Project Runway.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Mark, I agree that Good Night and Good Luck was disapointing. It turned a really interesting topic into a staggeringly boring movie. Way to go Clooney!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

I liked Confessions of a Dangerous Mind too.

I was able to find a few little bits that I liked in Good Night and Good Luck, but not enough to justify the two hours of almost nothing happening.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

I'm glad you guys are making yourselves known. That'll make things easier when the revolution comes.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patrick, I was telling Sara on Monday night that you guys should check out Melinda and Melinda. It's a Woody Allen film that also features a more dramatic role from Will Ferrell. I loved him in it. It's basically a story about this girl named Melinda told both as a comedy and a tragedy within the same movie.

As far as other movies I've seen recently...Memoirs of a Geisha, Shop Girl, Lady in the Water, Scoop, Pirates of the Carribbean 2, The Break-Up. That's all I can think of right now, but I know I've seen more. Memoirs of a Geisha is one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

I'll put Melinda and Melinda on my Netflix. How was Sho Girl? I've got it on my list too.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked Shop Girl. It was slow, but funny and smart. I've always been a fan of Claire Danes, but I really enjoyed her in this. And Jason Schwartzman was extremely funny, I thought. I definitely think it was worth seeing. Now I kind of wish I had read the book before seeing the movie.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home