Sunday, July 30, 2006

Watch me get all historical for a second

The other day Fred asked a few of us on the Reverb planning team to share with him the best advice we'd ever received. I had a hard time remembering much of the advice I've been given throughout my life. I think that's probably a bad sign. I ended up doing the same thing I always do whenever I'm at a loss for material. I searched the internet.

I ended up finding some info on The Instructions of Amenemopet.

The Instructions of Amenemopet was an Egyptian papyrus thought to have been written around 1200 BC. It contained 30 chapters of Egyptian proverbs - some very similar to the ones written by Solomon in the Book of Proverbs (click the link above to check them out). Some scholars have suggested that Solomon might have referenced The Instructions of Amenemope when writing Proverbs.

I think that makes an infinite amount of sense. If Solomon was the wisest man in the world, then no doubt he saw the wisdom in learning from others.

Speaking of which, I wanted to open Fred's invitation to the planning team to anyone reading this blog. Share your wisdom with us. What's the best advice you've ever received? Click on the comments button below and let us know. Don't forget to include your name if you want to.

Category:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is not the best advice that I have ever received, but in today's reading of Proverbs (30th Chapter), it reminded me not to ask for too much. It says that

"the believer replied "God, I'm asking for two things before I die. Banish lies from my lips and liars from my presence. Give me enough food to live on, neither too much nor too little."

If I had 2 wishes, would I ask for that? Probably not. I can only pray that my desires get closer to that.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

That's awesome. Thanks for contributing. I thought the whole bit about asking for just enough food was really interesting. Solomon said he was afraid if he had too much food he'd forget about needing God, and if he had too little he'd turn to stealing.

It's alien to me, unfortunately, to relate something so seemilgly mundane as how much food I have back to God.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home